Friday, February 28, 2020

A Paper Towel and Sunglasses!

We are all hearing so much about one specific virus right now. It's interesting that we hear about the flu and colds and stomach bugs all of the time, but every once and awhile a new bug comes along and we are awaiting the potential of a devastating pandemic. The reason that these expectations are alive and well is because millions of lives have been lost in the past from pandemic situations. But are the answers to dealing with these situations really so different?

Right now we may spend some of our day looking for N95 masks to protect ourselves from the virus. By now you have noticed that the virus will remain unnamed for my purposes. With the bug everywhere, why would a mask make any difference? The instructions have always been to wash your hands and when you are finished, go wash your hands. There is great wisdom in this! But let's look at masks for just a moment. Isn't it true that I would not have to wash my hands all of the time if I would keep them out of my mouth and eyes? I know some of you are habitual finger lickers, as you turn almost every page with a lick of the fingers. Some of you are table wipers. You take the napkin and wipe of a spot on your table in the restaurant and then use the same napkin (on the same side) to wipe your mouth. I hope you are laughing by now.

The fact is, you could tape a paper towel over your face and nose and put on sunglasses and you would protect yourself from the worst source of germs- your self! No fingers scratching in your eyes. No subtle nose picking. No finger licking. Sure, you would still need to wash those hands before you handled food or fed the kids, but that is much less often. How many people touched that gas pump handle that you just grabbed? How many people just used the tongs at the buffet restaurant? Yuck! yet none of that would be in your system if you did not put it there?

The spiritual application might be that the world is going to be filled with all kinds of things that are sins against God. The personal question I must answer is how much of that am I choosing to pick up and put into my own spiritual system without even thinking? Being a student of the Word of God can prepare me to protect myself and my family from things that are going to create spiritual sickness and trauma. I thank Jesus that He is in His disciples and that His Spirit is actively teaching me what the Word of God means and how to apply it in my current circumstances and culture. 

So, buy a mask to block those unchecked sneezes and coughs, and wash those hands. Keep your fingers out of your eyes, nose and mouth. Clean those surfaces with appropriate solutions of chlorine bleach and water (google it). But remember to be washed by the water of the Word (Ephesians 5:26) See you Sunday!

1 comment: